Financial Counselling Service
PLS offers a free, independent and confidential support service for people affected by incarceration.
What is a Financial Counsellor?
A financial counsellor can assist you with a range of services relating to personal credit and debit issues. They are fully trained to be supportive, caring and treat all people with dignity and respect. They must act in the best interests of clients, free of any conflict of interest and free of any fees or charges.
A financial counsellor can help you in the midst of any financial difficulty or crisis and do their best to help you avoid further difficulties in the future.
What a financial counsellor can do for you.
- Access and analyse your current financial situation
- Provide information about credit and debt
- Explain your rights and responsibilities in relation to debt
- Advocate on your behalf if necessary
- Explain possible options and outcomes
- Ensure you are receiving all your entitlements
- Deliver information and education sessions
- Inform you of community resources available
- Refer you to other support services if necessary.